So we’ve all heard the shocking stats about the damage that plastic is wreaking on our environment – that’s eight million tons being dumped into the seas annually – but what are we all actually doing about it? What are you doing to ensure that there is a planet for future generations?
Earlier in the year, water filtering company BRITA commissioned a study along with the Keep Britain Tidy campaign, surveying British people’s attitude to single use plastics. It found that although people are committed in theory to eliminating single use plastics, old habits die hard.
• Nearly a third of millennials aged 25 to 34 do not use refillable bottles because they claim they are too heavy
• 63 % of Britons rely on bottled water when travelling long distances by car, with two fifths likely to purchase it at the airport
• 27 % likely to purchase bottled water when included in lunchtime meal deals
It got us thinking about how as a company we could improve our ways and what environmentally friendly merchandise is available.
We’ve picked our Top 7:
1. Pencils – According to the EPA, Americans throw away 1.6 billion disposable pens every year. Instead of using cheap disposable plastic pens, swap to pencils instead – these can be branded and cost far less. Printkick make them out of recycled paper.
2. Bamboo coffee mugs – made from the world’s most sustainable, fastest growing crop, a bamboo coffee cup is the perfect reuseable takeaway mug. The use of bamboo also means your coffee doesn’t taste ‘plasticky’. A win-win situation.
3. Recycled or sustainably sourced (FSC) notepads – using paper which is FSC certified (Forest Stewardship Council). This certification proves that the paper is globally certified, originating from well managed forests, and verifies that the raw material used is not mixed with raw material from uncertified forests at any point in the supply chain. Brightsea are an FSC certified printers
4. Eco-friendly tote bags – we’ve all got a few of these tote bags, but the best thing about these, you can never have enough. Having rejected plastic bags, we still need something to replace them and tote bags never disappoint.
5. Reusable water bottles – Here at Doodlebug we’ve just taken hold of our new Chilly’s Bottles which we absolutely love and are resolutely carrying wherever we go. (For those in the SouthWest, you can refill your bottle for free wherever you see a Refill Devon sticker)
6. Coffee Cup paper – This paper is called Extract and the pulp contains paper upcycled from used disposable coffee cups. It’s a great way of recycling some of the 4,861 cups that are used a minute in the UK. Get your business cards and brochures printed on this amazing paper. Find out more about this from Stormpress.
7. Eco friendly phone cases – with more mobile devices than there are people on earth, that’s an enormous amount of plastic phone accessories that are being disposed. These 100% compostable, bioplastic iPhone and Andriod phone cases from Pela do just the job.
As if you need any more encouragement to do your bit and make the swap to environmentally friendly products, take a look at this recent TEDxExeter talk from Kids Against Plastic